I focus so much on the negatives of having Type 1 Diabetes that I tend to forget about the positives. I guess that’s because it is a disease and it is easier to sing the blues. However, only spouting the bad stuff tends to elicit a reaction no one with a chronic disease wants. Pity.
Here is my attempt to prevent anyone from feeling sorry for me.....or anyone else with a disease, for that matter. AND to remind myself to continue to look on the bright side of life.
Things I Like About Type 1 Diabetes
By Kelly Wright (teehee)
* I like when my sugar gets low, although not drastically, because then I get to eat junk food for ‘free’.
* I love Reli-On Glucose Tablets. My favorites are the white ones found in the Tropical Fruit container. Super yummy.
* I like when if something buzzes while I’m at work, Elisa asks if myshugana is ok.
* I like when I rip my pump off my skin. It’s an itchy and free relief.
* I like when my clothing leaves little black rings around the pump adhesive. It’s like a game for me to see if I can avoid that. If I can’t, I like picking it off.
* I like that I have eaten relatively healthy since high school.
* I like that one of my BFF’s is a Type 1. Collectively we are the T1T’s. (Type 1 Twins)
* I like that strangers who share this disease automatically connect with each other on a super special level.
* I like that there is an entire community who feel exactly as I feel, know what I am talking about, understand and accept. It makes me feel less strange.
* I like when people know I am a diabetic and try to understand.
* I also like when those same people don’t constantly harp on me.
* I like the fact that you can get sugar free items and they are delish! Not the cardboard tasting crap that they used to be like.
* I like that NY puts the nutritional information on their menus. I wish everyone did.
* I like knowing the exact carbs of something I am going to eat.
* I like that having diabetes has made me a stronger, compassionate, caring and more aware person.
* I like that diabetes showed me that even though my body is broken, my spirit is not.
* I like the fact that my diabetes jaunt has led me to the greatest doctor on the planet. Doc B.
* I like that I have lived almost 24 years with an uncontrollable disease and I am ok.
* I like that I know myself & know how to listen to my body. Not many people do.
* I like having a chronic disease because I think it makes me appreciate life more than most healthy people. I sometimes wonder if I would still be a good person & love life the way I do if I were healthy…..
* And lastly, I like that having diabetes is not the worst thing that could happen to me.
I am going on vacation for a week and a half.
I won’t be blogging during that time but will be back at it mid October. Hopefully with some fantastic d-news. Celebrate your life…and your health…while I’m gone!