Monday, December 14, 2009

Ink'd

I came across this article on MSNBC as I was researching & designing my next tattoo. I am so excited for this to happen. I think it’s fantastic!! Not only would my fingertips go back to loving me…I could get a mood ring like tattoo! Double YAY whammy!
















Rumor has it that Diabetics should not get tattoos. I think this is an outdated idea. Education and knowledge about this disease has far surpassed peeing on a stick for your bs level and avoiding all types of sugar because it was the devil. I think Diabetics can get tattoos….just like they can eat that donut. As long as we follow the rules.

















Diabetics have a difficult time healing so any invasion to our skin could cause concern. We are more susceptible to infections, we take longer to heal and have issues with blood flow. So, tattooing your feet may not be the best option. As a Diabetic who has two tattoos, I highly recommend having your A1C in an exceptional level before considering ink. Mine is a 6, so I’m ready. I would never consider a tattoo if my A1C was over an 8. Just out of fear alone.

My unprofessional suggestions would be to find a reputable tattoo artist. One that you are confident in not only their skill, artistry & reputation, but also in their cleanliness. I would also let the artist know that you are a diabetic. You can get the same beautiful result without the artist going as deep as he would on someone without diabetes. I would also discuss your desire to get ink'd with your Endocrinologist. Lastly, follow the after care instructions to a ‘T’ even though they are a pain. Personally, I also avoid my regular insertion sites. For example, I’m not going to tattoo my muffin top and then have no place to put my OmniPod.

Shhhh.....here is a secret. I have never worn a medical alert bracelet. I haven’t. I know. I’m a bad diabetic. Tsk tsk. But, I’m sorry, I think they are horrible. I have had ‘I’m a Type 1’ key chains and a card in my wallet but that’s as far as I can go. I just can’t get myself to purchase a medical alert bracelet. I know it could have saved my life faster & easier on many occasions but I took the risk. I’m a risk taker. Shame, shame, I know your name.

















Because of that, one of the tattoos I am considering is a medical tattoo. My only hold back is my hope for a cure. I only play a pessimist for humors sake. I’m actually an eternal optimist who never loses her hope. I would hate to get ‘Hi, I’m a Type 1 Diabetic’ tattooed on my wrist and then be cured. I suppose it would be ok seeing how being a Type 1 is what I have been for over ½ my life. Being a Type 1 is part of who I am and part of how I came to be who I am. But….I still can’t kick that hope. I guess I could always go back and get ‘CURED’ inked underneath it. Or get that ‘no sign’ put over it. Haha!










However, as I researched, I noticed that getting a medical tattoo seems to be the wave of the future. Maybe I will have to start working on a new design.















By the way, TuDiabetes has a group if you are interested in checking out other Inked Diabetics.



*Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment