Sunday, June 21, 2009

Bitter...Party of One

April 13, 2009


I’m Tired Of posted the following article which I would like to share with you.
Hunter, Diva & Diabetes

Imagine…a diabetes service dog named Diva! I can count a thousand times when Diva would have saved me the embarrassment of waking to a room full of paramedics. So special kudos go out to Beverly Swartz and her company, All Purpose Canines, as well as to Diva! Keep up the good work!


I was thinking about bumper stickers the other day. People generally have no qualms regarding posting their opinion on the back of their vehicles. Hey, more power to you. Some of them crack me up! And..since it is now illegal to text while driving in Vegas, what else can I do but read bumper stickers?! Here are some examples I have seen recently:


Wow on #3. Have a nice day! So, what does this have to do with diabetes, you ask? Well, my thought was why aren’t there any diabetes bumper stickers? I never see those! Funny or serious. I see ones for breast cancer, autism and support our troops or I see the magnetic ribbon versions…..but never for diabetes. They are out there, absolutely! Just why doesn’t anyone have them stuck to their vehicles? Here are a few I’d like to stick to the butt of my car:

I wonder what the guy wishing me to eternal hell would say.

Ok, let’s get serious. Welcome to today’s lesson. Diabetes - Type 1 versus Type 2. Same disease, very different versions. Type 1 is the version I was lucky enough to obtain. This is the one I am familiar with and the one I continue to discuss. See my 'Home Sweet Home'
blogs for details. Type 2, however, is very different. Type 2 is generally adult onset and is caused largely…no pun intended…by obesity. Here is a short run down on Type 2.

Type 2 means your body is resistant to the effects of insulin. The body produces some insulin to maintain a normal glucose level but not enough. So, the pancreas is spitting out insulin but the insulin simply cannot do its job. The body of a Type 2 is insulin resistant. If you recall, Type 1 means the pancreas produces no insulin. Unfortunately, there is no cure for either type. However, Type 2 can typically be controlled by eating healthy, exercise and oral medication.


Type 2 can be life threatening if left uncontrolled. It is entirely possible that a Type 2 who does not maintain a healthy diet and exercise regularly will require insulin therapy. I’m thinking walking 30 minutes a day and eating a well balanced meal is certainly a better option than taking insulin injectionstherapy. I’m thinking walking 30 minutes a day and eating a well balanced meal is certainly a better option than taking insulin injections.

Those at risk are typically obese or overweight, non-active, have had gestational diabetes, have a family history of Type 2 or have high cholesterol and/or high blood pressure.

Type 2 diabetes is the most popular form of the disease. Approximately 90-95% of all Diabetics are Type 2. Gee….how’d I get so lucky? If only I had that luck with Megabucks. Psh.

Type 2 can be life threatening if left uncontrolled. It is entirely possible that a Type 2 who does not maintain a healthy diet and exercise regularly will require insulin terness you hear stems from the fact that Type 2’s could have prevented the onset of this disease in most cases. Why a healthy person would abuse their body is beyond me. I would basically do anything..anything..for a healthy body. The risks and complications with Type 2, while serious, are not as complex as those with Type 1. It’s also annoying that Type 2 seems to be the focus for a cure. That must be because more people have Type 2. Ok..fine...understandable.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope for a cure for both Type 1 and Type 2. Diabetes sucks and I’m not trying to take that away from anyone who has this disease. However, it breaks my heart a little that thousands of children each day contract Type 1 diabetes simply by doing nothing. While thousands of adults contract Type 2 diabetes……simply by doing nothing. See the difference? I can’t help but wonder why more focus isn’t put on a cure for Type 1 but hey…I’m biased.

So, research has shown that lifestyle changes can help prevent or delay the onset of Type 2 diabetes among those with a high risk. Changes such as diet. Eat a piece of fruit instead of a piece of cake. Changes such as exercise. Walk for 30 minutes a day…or at least around the block. You could reduce your risk by ½. It’s difficult to change, everyone knows that. But….sometimes it’s worth it.

Bitter...party of one? :)

*Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment