Friday, November 7, 2014

Hello, November.

Hello.  It’s been a while so I thought I’d pop in a drop a blog. That sounds like I’m going to do something awesome with some killer dance moves or something but no.  I’m just here to purge the Diabetes side of brain.  Haha! 


I don’t have any excuses for not blogging other than being lazy, or busy, or lacking in concept so I apologize to those who care.  But, like I said, I’m back in the saddle again and ready to spit out some Diabetic prowess in honor of November being American Diabetes Month.  


It’s awesome we get an entire month for a disease that we maintain every millisecond of every day for the rest of our chronic diseased life.  It’s awesome that we get a World Day, too. This day is to spread global awareness worldwide like Diabetes is spreading worldwide. So, wear blue and be aware of Diabetes and your pals that have it. We appreciate it.  We do.




It’s pretty effed up though that they chose November…the Thanksgiving binging month…to be Diabetes month.  Sigh.  Ok.  I’m using a pump so whatever…I eat what I want!!  (in moderation) haha.

Because it’s our month, I did a little Googling on Type 1 Diabetes.  One thing I came across was this list of facts.  Some of them actually surprised me.  I’ve had Diabetes for 30 years and am rarely surprised by anything so that says something. Go ahead and give it a read.  Or at least give it a scan. 

Warning….it’s not good or light or positive for all those D pals you were aware of earlier.


http://facts.randomhistory.com/facts-about-diabetes.html


I’m not gonna lie, I’m a little depressed after reading some of these. It seems to be that, while my life could be worse, it’s not going to be any better with Diabetes.  I have nothing to look forward to.  At this point, even looking forward to a cure seems hopeless at times.  However, I’ll never lose hope.  Without hope, I have nothing.


One thing this list failed to mention is gum disease.  Gum Disease is another side effect of Diabetes. I’m proof of that and am currently dealing with the heartbreak of losing my teeth to periodontal disease.  I’ve bitched about this before on my blog so it’s not new.  It’s just becoming worse, which I knew it would. 


Another thing is thyroid disease.  This I am also dealing with. Hashimoto’s Disease.  Hai!  Sounds like a great roll I’d order at my favorite sushi place but nope.  Not that lucky.  This is the reason for my weight gain, fatigue, sensitivity to cold and the pain in my joints.  Ugh.  I guess I’m pretty fortunate because after 30 years, I could be worse.  I wasn’t always a ‘good’ Diabetic and am still not perfect.  I abused my body with drugs, alcohol, resentment, rejection, sugary foods and you name it.  If my teeth and my thyroid are my only problems, I’d say I’m ok.  I’ll be a tired, toothless fatty any day over a being blind, one legged dialysis patient.  Just saying.




Hey, you always gotta look for the positive. Haha


In other news, Diabetes has been cured in mice.  Now…how do I become a mouse?




For more info on November being about Diabetes and not facial hair,  click these links:

http://www.diabetes.org/in-my-community/american-diabetes-month.html

http://www.idf.org/worlddiabetesday/about


 *Peace.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment