Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Enviro-sponsible

Written June 23, 2009

I just read an article in the Vancouver Sun entitled ‘Type 1 diabetes to double in European kids under five’. Damn. Double by 2020. Double damn. This makes me want to cry and throw myself on the floor while kicking and screaming. Yes. This makes me want to react like a 5 year old who should only have to worry about what color crayon to use and what cookie to eat, not a chronic disease
.

The article continues to discuss the causes of the increase of this disease. Researchers suggest that environmental factors may be playing a role. ‘But what exactly is harmful in the environment, we don’t know.’ To read the full article click here.

I am a tree hugging hippie. I am. I recycle, I buy eco-friendly products, I have reusable shopping bags, etc. etc. I do what I can to show our planet love. While I may not be individually saving the world, I am at least helping…are you?



We, as a society, have messed with Mother Nature…and she is pissed. It’s not surprising at all that the environment we abuse daily is now attacking back. Can we blame nature?



No. We can only blame ourselves. What truly sucks is that the chick who threw her cigarette butt out the window this morning probably doesn’t have a chronic disease. Psh to her. We are responsible for creating a hazardous environment. Now that it may be affecting the human race, we are standing up and taking notice. Humans aren’t the only species on Earth…we just act like it and there is always a price. But, I am not here to lecture anyone on environmental issues or going green. It just seems like I am one of the many who has to pay for our collective irresponsibility. You’re welcome.

As a matter of fact, Google ‘environmental causes and diabetes’. You may..or may not..be shocked to see over 1,700,000 results.

This is all fabulous news but it doesn’t help PWD’s at all. We already have the disease so it’s not like we can prevent it. Perhaps it will save double the 5 year olds but we don’t know for sure. As much as I am curious to know what causes diabetes, I am more interested in what cures it. Let’s refocus, shall we.

Anyway, I’m sick today and hence the negativity. Diabetic sick days suck. Will blog about that some other time.


If anyone is interested in becoming a Guest blogger, please let me know. I would love to have you. :)

Also, I am in the process of switching to Blogger. Maintaining my website is becoming a little too much for me. I’m a writer, not so much an IT geek. Hey, I love IT geeks so no offense, it’s just not my forte. Plus, I want more than what Go Daddy has to offer..haha...like RSS. My old site address is Kellys Naturally Sweet . Feel free to check it out before it's gone. Until then, thanks for sticking with me.


*Peace.







No comments:

Post a Comment